Questions, enthusiasm, or feedback? We're here for you.
The Welcome Center, located on the plaza at the Bruns, is here to make your visit to the theater as enjoyable as possible.
Ask what's happening with Cal Shakes, who's giving the Grove Talk, or just say hi.
PRE-PERFORMANCE GROVE TALKS
MEET THE ARTISTS
Check the events calendar for up-to-date information on artists and performers.
Get a First Look into our process the week before performances begin! Enjoy the groves on a Sunday evening, where Artistic Director Eric Ting will moderate a Q&A with our artists. Stay to watch part of the technical rehearsals and see how all of the elements of a show come together at the Bruns. Bring a picnic, snacks, or enjoy something from our on-site café.
• Much Ado About Nothing—Sunday, May 22 (Space Limited, RSVP below!)
• Fences—Sunday, July 3
• You Never Can Tell—Sunday, August 7
• Othello—Sunday, September 11
The grounds open at 6:30pm; Q&A begins at 7:00pm.
To RSVP for this free event, click here,
call the First Look RSVP line at 510.899.4840, or email click here.
On-site at our Theater 45 minutes prior to each performance, our resident Grove Talk speakers provide invaluable insight into our work as they discuss the relationship between play (text, history, critical theory) and production (directorial point of view, design, character interpretation). Talks are approximately 20 minutes long.
Listen to previous Grove Talks online.
The first Preview of each show is a special Pay-What-You-Can Preview. Tickets are first-come, first-served, and available by calling on the day of the show.
• Much Ado About Nothing—Wednesday, May 25
• Fences—Wednesday, July 6
• You Never Can Tell—Wednesday, August 10
• Othello—Wednesday, September 14
To purchase Pay-What-You-Can tickets starting at 6pm on day of show, call 510.548.9666 or visit the Bruns Amphitheater Box Office at 100 California Shakespeare Theater Way, Orinda. Supply is limited. Showtime: 8:00 pm.
Be part of the process by seeing the show before opening night at deeply discounted prices.
• Much Ado About Nothing—Wed, May 25, Thurs, May 26, and Fri, May 27
• Fences—Weds, July 6, Thurs, July 7, and Fri, July 8
• You Never Can Tell—Wed, August 10, Thurs, August 11, and Fri, August 12
• Othello—Wed, September 14, Thurs, September 15, and Fri, September 16
Experience the excitement of the opening night performance and then mingle with the cast and creative team at a complimentary post-show party.
• Much Ado About Nothing—Saturday, May 28
• Fences—Saturday, July 9
• You Never Can Tell—Saturday, August 13
• Othello—Saturday, September 17
This post-show discussion series provides an opportunity to discuss the plays with production cast members. The Meet the Artists series immediately follows select 4pm Sunday matinees and is free and open to the public.
• Much Ado About Nothing—Sunday, May 29 and Sunday, June 12
• Fences—Sunday, July 10 and Sunday, July 24
• You Never Can Tell—Sunday, August 14 and Sunday, August 28
• Othello—Sunday, September 18 and Sunday, October 2
Cal Shakes is continuing to provide open captioning for patrons who are deaf or hard-of-hearing for all of our 2016 productions. Open captioning utilizes an unobtrusive screen at the front of the theater to display dialogue spoken during a performance. No special equipment is required by patrons; one can simply glance at the screen to read the text while watching the action on stage.
• Much Ado About Nothing—Wednesday, June 1
• Fences—Wednesday, July 13
• You Never Can Tell—Wednesday, August 17
• Othello—Wednesday, September 21
Performances followed by a conversation with the dramaturg exploring the world of the play. InSight takes place in the Bruns Amphitheater immediately following select 4pm Sunday matinee and is free and open to the public.
• Much Ado About Nothing—Sunday, June 5
• Fences—Sunday, July 17
• You Never Can Tell— Sunday, August 21
• Othello—Sunday, September 25
Play a role in your family’s ongoing love of theater and make a memory to last a lifetime by bringing a child to their first Shakespeare performance. Get a discounted $20 kid’s ticket with the purchase of a full-priced adult ticket. Pre-show festivities include activities with a Cal Shakes teaching artist and a commemorative token. *Recommended for children 8 and up.
Much Ado About Nothing—Saturday, June 18
Join us for an in-depth look at how you can bring William Shakespeare to life in your classroom! Click here for more about Educator Night.
Othello—Thursday, September 15
"Theater is the most human of art forms: it tells stories about us, and for us, and with us." Eric Ting was on KQED's "Forum" with Michael Krasny on Thursday, May 28—if you missed it, you can listen here.
We are so glad Eric has joined the Cal Shakes family, and we can't wait for you to meet him. Come to one of our upcoming events and take part in a Q&A with Eric over refreshments from Peet's Coffee & Tea. Saturday, June 11 at the Bruns Amphitheater.
To RSVP for this free event, click here
We will be suspending the pre-show Tastings beginning this season.
Should you have any questions, please contact our Box Office at 510.548.9666 or firstname.lastname@example.org